The Financial Analyst monitors and reports departmental performance in order to pinpoint opportunities and areas for improvement. The Financial Analyst serves as a support function for the Development, Operations and Finance teams in the sense of analyzing trends that could lead to increased performance, reduced costs and process improvements.
- Perform ongoing and ad hoc financial analysis of department and business unit profit & loss statements.
- Coordinate completion/distribution of business level monthly variance reporting.
- Participate in revenue and expense review meetings with department personnel.
- Track and report on cash collections and expenditures. .
- Assist with preparation of annual budget and monthly forecasts.
- Collect and compile financial and operational data to support future analysis.
- Perform account reconciliations and other accounting assistance as needed.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, financial reports, and legal documents as necessary. Capacity to effectively present information to and respond to questions from supervisors and peers.. Must possess the ability to communicate technical concepts and thoughts to management. Ability to research data and analyze information skillfully, with attention to detail. Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task. Proficiency in Excel, Word, Access & PowerPoint. Familiarity with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Tessitura Reporting a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Three to five years of broad general accounting experience required. Prior not-for-profit experience preferred. Must be able to operate in a network PC environment and have knowledge of computer based accounting systems. Prior experience with computer system administration strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume with cover letter to Jobs@dso.org.
All resumes are acknowledged with postcard or email upon receipt. No phone calls, please. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values and encourages a diverse workforce.